Wednesday, January 28, 2009
OK, so this isn't really what it looks like outside (secret - this is the blizzard of 1977 in Buffalo NY, but don't tell anyone!) but a girl came dream!! Actually, we have about 10 inches and it's still coming down, so we could end up with a foot before it's over! Hubby is in DC (poor him missing this great snow!) and neighbor wants to use the snow blower - can you say barter? Use it no strings attached - ok one string, can you do my driveway too so poor helpless housewife won't break a nail?? Actually I usually like clearing the driveway with the snowblower, but that's a lot of snow out there and if there's a young strapping man with time on his hands, by all means sir, please help this damsel in distress! Fingers crossed!! I am really looking forward to it stopping (or at least slowing down) so that the kids can go out and play in it! Snowmen are begging to be formed in the front yard!! Cheap thrill of my day so far... my really small dogs (approx 10 and 12lbs each) heading out for the first time this morning with NO idea that the snow is almost as tall as them!! That cracks me up every time!!! I'll be out with my camera snapping away once the wind and snow die down!! Till then... hot chocolate and a fire anyone??
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
I received this meme from Amazing Grace http://ccdmom.blogspot.com
The game goes as follows... you are randomly given a letter and you must list 10 things you like that start with that letter.
I got the letter G! perhaps Gayle should be at the top of the list!?! That's too easy! So in no particular order....
1. my Girls -Big S, Little S and Little G (I'm the big G!)
2. Giggles - especially when coming out of my girls!
3. Games - playing them with my family or friends
5. Grapes - white or red, just seedless please!
6. God - probably should have put him #1
7. Garden Gnomes - they're so cute!
8. Gingerbread cookies and houses
9. Greece - I really really want to go there one day!
10. Groundhog Day - the movie to be specific, it's hysterical!!
how about a twist? 10 things I DON'T like that start with G. Again in no particular order....
1. Gravity - it's affects on the body with aging specifically!
2. G-strings/thongs - who's idea were these things?
3. German - I may be of German descent, but I don't understand the language and the food isn't that great, although the beer is!
4. Geese - Canadian to be specific - they are loud and they poop everywhere
6. Groundhogs - only when they see/don't see their shadow - which ever on means more winter!!
7. Grouchy people
8. Goats - actually I'm fine with that but Big S REALLY hates them
9. Glasses - reminds me that I'm getting old!!
10. Garbage - taking it out mostly
not too hard! who shall I tag? Perhaps I'll leave it up to you - let me know you're doing it and I'll give you your letter!!
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Reading others' posts often leads me to think.... Liz at A mom on spin http://amomonspin.com/referenced a post that she read by Jen at Sprites Keeper http://spriteskeeper.com/ where Jen challenges other bloggers with a topic on her weekly Spin Cycle and this week's topic was WHAT IF... so I thought I'd give it a try too!!
-children knew what a hamper was and chose to use it for it's given purpose?
-men retained above said information from their childhood and again, used it?
-santa brought grown ups presents too - like gift certificates for house cleaners, massages, personal chefs, mani/pedi.....?
-children didn't turn into teenagers before they became young adults?
-men could give birth?
-movie theater popcorn wasn't bad for you?
-the candy sold at movie theaters wasn't the same size as your carry-on luggage?
-children didn't know more about technology than their parents?
-middle age didn't mean an increase in the earth's gravitational pull?
-driveways could shovel themselves?
-dirty laundry didn't multiply like rabbits?
-the dishes really did wash themselves?
-preteen girls could talk in groups at a normal octave?
-there was a machine that could freeze everything so you could actually have a girls' night out with your friends to have a bottle, I mean glass, of wine and commiserate with?
what are your WHAT IFs?
Sunday, January 11, 2009
I got tagged by my "big brother" in a meme from blog "that's what I was going to say" at http://bryanrutt.blogspot.com! Bryan is a fabulous guy who became my KA big brother back in 1986 at University of Richmond and although our "in touch" status has waxed and waned over the years, the blogoshphere has helped to to reconnect and stay in touch for which I am very grateful! He's the kind of guy that is a lifelong friend because he is true and genuine and he is who he is from first glance - there is never a doubt about where he stands or where he is coming from and therefore you know that once you have earned his friendship, that it is a true friendship regardless of whether you see him daily or not for lots and lots of years (I sadly fall in that category!!). Anyhoo, he tagged me and I am therefore obligated by blog law to respond!! Here it goes....
7 things about me
the rules of the game are as follows
1. link your original tagger(s) and leave a comment on this blog posting when you've "memed"
2. list these rules on your blog
3. share seven facts about yourself in the post - some random, some weird
4. tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs
5. let them know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs, Twitter or some other form of electronic communication....
7 things about me....
1. I hate sandwiches! Now, before you gasp, there are a few caviates to that statement. I should probably say I hate normal sandwiches. I will eat them on bagels, croissants, pitas, tasted bread, crunchy rolls... BUT I like them pretty plain. I like a meat (one at a time) and a cheese (just one also) and I often prefer that the sandwich be warm somehow (at least one ingredient), I do not like condiments on my sandwich and I don't add anything else - just a meat, a cheese and some sort of non-mushy bread product.
2. You will never catch me reading just one book at a time. At any given moment I have a multitude of books going at one time. Multiple pleasure reads to suit my every mood are floating all over the house. I also have a self help book and some sort of Bible study usually floating in the mix also. Our house is full of book cases! Each kid has one in her room, there are 2 in the kitchen/nook area - one for cookbooks, one for kid books, two in the office, one in our bedroom in addition to each of our bedside tables, one in one of our bathrooms and 2 other bathrooms with large baskets full of reading materials! I won't even add all the books that float homeless throughout our house, cars, tote bags.... We love books!!
3. I too hard an early childhood television debut! When I was 3 or 4 we lived on a naval base in Kodiak Alaska and there was this fabulous (in my memory) kids show that came on right before The Electric Company called Captain Alaska. I have a super vivid memory of hearing my name called at the end of the program in the list of children who would be appearing on the show and freaking out! We have pictures of me in this cute little white sailor dress (of course) with navy trim sitting on Captain Alaska's lap! It was a fabulous thing! Funny how my memory is more about hearing my name called to be on the show rather than actually being on the show, but there it is!!
4. I enjoy reality tv - now that is NOT a blanket statement, I definitely don't like all of the shows out there, but I find myself fairly easily sucked-in when one of those shows is one.. I like variety also - I don't just follow the romance shows, or the talent show, I tend to like just one in each category! My favorites in reality tv land are American Idol, Survivor, So You Think You Can Dance, The Bachelor (not every season though), The Real Housewives of Orange County (don't like the NY or Atlanta versions) - it is not a fact that I am proud of, but it is true.
5. I love to sew, knit, cook, do yard work - I hate to clean, iron, pay bills, paint walls - I don't mind laundry (actually doing it, not putting it away), dishes, vaccuming. When I was a kid I loved spending the weekend in my room rearranging and organizing by drawers and closet. Weird, huh? Wish my kids had the same problem!!
6. I have a serious case of over-volunteeritis. I can't say no and I love being involved and in the mix, but I don't know my own limits and then I either have to back-pedal and withdraw myself, or I end up with scheduling conflicts and find myself stretched way too thin!
7. I am a last-minute-Lucy. i work best facing a deadline at crunch time.. I don't like being that way and I often try to work ahead, but it is never the same and I am much more productive and successful at the last minute. Sad to say.
So, there it is. 7 things you may not have known about me! Now for the school yard pick!!
1. The Mom Jen at cheaperthantherapyjen.blogspot.com
2. Lisa at aranchgirlsramblings.blogspot.com
3. Merrie at sleeplessmornings.blogspot.com
4. Jamey at jamey-walkingbyfaith.blogspot.com
5. Amazing Grace at ccdmom.blogspot.com
6. Sarah Mae at likeawarmcupofcoffee.blogspot.com
7. Liz at amomonspin.com
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
You know I love this blog!! SarahMae always has something good to say, but I really believe in this - as a mom of 3 girls growing up in this culture (I could go on forever, but I won't!) anyway, I appreciate both her discussing this issue and Christa-Taylor for creating a fashionable and still modest line of clothing!! Please take the time to check them both out - you'll be glad you did!
the lead kenziegirl dress - so cute!!Like a warm cup of coffee: 10 Days To Modest! Day Two- What Is Modesty? Oh, And A GIVEAWAY!!!
Monday, January 5, 2009
Saturday, January 3, 2009
I love this particular blog "Like a warm cup of coffee" and Sarah Mae is doing a "motivate me mondays" that I really love! Check her out!! I have a very high goal of being an active member of the 5:16 club - though for me I'm shooting for 6:00 for starters!
Thursday, January 1, 2009
now that the ball has dropped, confetti thrown, champagne drunk and probably chased with a few aspirin, what do we have to look ahead to? Only 365 more days till we get to do it all again! And then we will be a year old, hopefully a little wiser but not any more lbs bigger!!
I know new year's resolution are usually a waste of time, but I would love for you to try to make that are reasonable and achievable. Start by reviewing resolutions that failed in past years... lose weight (too general to be worthwhile), exercise more (again too general), start a hobby, learn a new skill, do something better.... So, here are my sincere and well thought out resolutions for the new year - monthly updates on my success will follow!!
1. lose a specific (tho not public) amount of weight before my sister's anticipated wedding this coming summer (if for some reason they don't get engaged and therefore married this summer, then I'm off the hook!!) - to further define this goal, I am going to be trying to most of it with specific exercise time that will be scheduled in 4 times a week rather than a crazy diet!!
2. keep the house better organized - meaning not let it go and then have a mountain rather than a mole hill to contend with! that means an hour a day set aside to keep on top of things - again scheduled into my day!
3. institute family fridays to ensure that we have quality time together every week - again scheduled on the calendar! it can be movie night, game night or anything the crew can come up with that includes the entire family!!
I think 3 is a reasonable number to work towards. There are TONS of other things that I would like to work on and very well might, but rather than bite off more than I can chew, I am going to leave it at that for now!
I would love to hear about your resolutions and how you plan on sticking to them! Here's to a happy, healthy and blessed new year!!