So, one thing you may know if you are a regular reader is that from time to time I enjoy participating in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - today is one of those days! She had some really good prompts this week, I just didn't have really good answers for them so I chose this one.....
Today is one of those days that definitely falls into the category of boring! We had a two hour delay for ice - we got freezing rain last night - so it was lovely to get some extra sleep, but when the phone rang at 5:15am, it scared the crap out of me and I was busy trying to figure out who had died while hubby shook the cob webs and stumbled towards the phone! Amusingly, and irritatingly, enough, Big S and Little G BOTH complained that I let them sleep so late when they could have used that time "to watch tv for 2 hours" according to Little G! Big S would have preferred to sleep 1 hour and use the 2nd hour for something - she was never really clear on what! I apologized profusely, and sarcastically, and told them next time I'd get their little butts out of bed when the phone rang at 5:15am and then they would have plenty of time to do whatever they wanted to! Big G made me a cup of coffee just a couple minutes later! Guess that was her apology and request that I not follow through on my threat next time we are delayed!!!
As far as not staying bored, there is always PLENTY to do around here - if you don't have something to keep you "busy" at all times, I'll give you my address, I can keep you busy! Anyway, busy isn't always fun, and Mama Kat specified that we stave off boredom, not that we keep busy, so here are a few - 10 to be precise - suggestions if you are bored!
1. Teach yourself how to wax! Save yourself a few bucks at the salon every month! I would however, suggest you start with a spot on your leg that no one will see for a few months since it is the dead of winter!! I have NOT taken my own advice and was sorry! I tried years ago to wax my bikini line - just the line, nothing too ambitious, before our honeymoon 14 years ago and I was terribly sorry! I have since tried again, taking my own advice this time, and am treading cautiously! I really want to do my eyebrows, but mistakes are hard to hide there, so I haven't attempted that yet! Arm pits aren't that hard and no one sees them in January! Just a thought!
2. Curl up on the couch with a good book - preferably something a little smutty with just enough of a plot to keep your interest - grab your warmest blanket, a cup of joe - it tastes better when a remorseful preteen makes it - take my word for it! Take your phone off the hook, or turn off the ringer! Set a timer so you don't forget to pick the kids up from school, and loose yourself in a fantasyland for a few hours - we never do that for ourselves. I read in bed almost every night, but I'm so tired that I often fall asleep with the book still in my hands. It's just not the same as purposeful reading time in the middle of the day!
3. Go to blockbuster and rent a couple of those chick flicks hubby never wants to watch with you! Assume same position as in #2, you can even invite a couple gal pals if you like! Laugh cry and enjoy remembering when you still believed in fairy tales!
4. Organize your spice rack in alphabetical order OR in rainbow order! Don't tell anyone you did it - ok that parts only fun if there is anyone else who EVER uses it, but then it's pretty funny! Of course they think you are crazy or OCD, or both! But I find it amusing! You can do the same with your pantry too! It would be funny to rearrange someone's closet to rainbow order, but that's a lot of work, and some people (sorry Lori) do that for real!
5. As you go around changing the sheets and towels in the house short sheet EVERYONE'S bed! We love short sheeting in our house! We usually do it to guests, and it never loses it's power to amuse!!
6. Go to the mall and people watch. Hear me out! My sister and I LOVE to people watch together! We make up stories about the people we see and always end up cracking ourselves up! One time when we both had a lengthy layover in Charlotte, NC, we sat in those fabulous white rocking chairs that are all over the airport (yes, shocking, we found two empty ones together - they are a hot commodity) and we handed out superlatives to passers-by. Well, we didn't actually hand them out, we chuckled and kept them between the two of us, but we were hysterical! I'm sure the passers-by would have enjoyed hearing what we had to say about them, but they were all in such a hurry, we didn't want to cause them to miss their flights!
7. Make a "mixed tape" cd for your loved one(s)! Didn't you always love it when someone took the time and thought to make one for you? My big bro from college (fraternity) makes a mixed cd every year for Christmas and shares it with friends! I love it! He always picks sons (or at least artist) that for the most part I am unfamiliar with and I'm always excited to hop in the car and check it out!! It would a great Valentine's gift - on second thought, I may do that for my girls! They each did one for me back in the fall and I loved hearing, not just what songs they liked, but which ones they thought I would like!! Big G made me one for Christmas too - so sweet! See, that a great idea, isn't it?
8. Put your computer's picture files on shuffle, grab that same blanket and cup of joe and kick back! The farther back your files go, the better! It's so much fun to relive those moments, especially on cold, gray, dreary days like today! You can thank me later! You might want to grab a box of tissues and your phone in case some of those pictures trigger the need to reconnect with old friends!
9. Start a blog if you don't already have one of your own! Blogspot is a super easy way to start. Do it for yourself first, it's fun and cathartic and you will probably surprise yourself with what comes out of your fingertips! Share the addy with close friends and family - and send it to me, I'd love to read it! It always starts small, but you never know where it may lead! Perhaps you are a budding writer, perhaps you have a great idea that needs to be shared, perhaps what you have to say needs to be heard - even if it's by just one person - it still needs to be heard, or perhaps just needs to be said! There are lots of people out there who have made blogging into a money making business, I am not one of those tho I wouldn't turn down any $$ anyone wanted to give me, but there are lots of people who have found ways to market themselves for their benefit - you never know! The key is to do it for yourself and let it go from there! And make it fun, if it's not, then it's a job and who needs another one of those?
10. This is my last one!! I wasn't sure I'd make it that far! Truth be told, I could come up with a million things that you could do if you are bored, but who wants to come here to read a boring list? That just makes you more bored not less, right? My last suggestion for those of you who are still reading because you have yet to be inspired is to go check out a few of the blogs that I enjoy reading and read some other people's thoughts! You may find them amusing, interesting, educational or inspiring, but at the very least, you won't be bored!!
These are just a few of my favorites! There are so many blogs worth reading these days - sometimes it takes a while to find them - I usually cruise my friends' sidebars to see who they are reading and check those out! I myself don't like to see too many reviews or give aways - just my personal preference, I want to read to me amused, informed etc so one a week per blog is all I can handle. I appreciate those who have separate review blogs - like my dear friend Jen at Cheaper Than Therapy - then I can go look at them if I have time and/or are interested and not if I don't! Thanks Jen!! To the rest of you, nothing personal, I just skim it and check back the next day! Happy reading friends!
Please leave a comment here if you have some good reading suggestions!!
For those of you who were bored before reading all of this, you have NO EXCUSE now!!
By the way, I have NO IDEA why part of this post is underlined and some isn't - it appeared and disappeared all on it's own and I can't seem to delete it! Go figure!